- State Alias
- Social Demographics
- Metropolitan Areas
- Popular Sports Teams
- Security Companies
- Crime Statistics
- Police Department
- List of Counties
The Vermont region was explored and claimed for France by Samuel De Champlain in 1609, and the first French settlement was established at Fort Ste. Anne in 1666. The first English settlers moved into the area in 1724 and built for Dummer on the site of present day Brattleboro. England gained control of the area in 1763 after the French and Indian wars.
Vermont is one of the 13 original colonies as part of New Hampshire. It is the 6th state in size and is a very small state. Population wise the state ranks 2nd in lowest population. It is the only state in New England that does not have a border that connects with the Atlantic Ocean. In 1777 New Hampshire and Vermont split into two separate states. It then became the 14th state of the US.
Vermont State Alias:
Vermont is known as “The Green Mountain State” Verd Mont was a name given to the green mountains in October 1761, by the rev, Dr. Peters. Some other symbols associated with the state of Vermont include the sugar maple tree, hermit thrush, a Morgan horse, and red clovers. It was named this for its mountain peaks that overlook lake Champlain, which divides Vermont and New York. The mountain also overlooks the Connecticut River, which lies to the east of the mountain range.
In 2013 there were approximately 625,741 people in Vermont. 95% of the population is white and 49.3% of the population is male with the remaining 50.7% being female. The average age for the population is 41. Only 11% of the population is under the age of 18 with 28.3% of households having at least one person under the age of 18. 6.5% of the population is over the age of 65.
Vermont leads the nation in the production of monument granite, marble, and maple products. The state of Vermont is also a leader in the production of talc. Vermont’s rugged, rocky terrain discourages extensive agricultural farming, but is well suited raising fruit trees, maple production, and to dairy farming. Vermont’s principal industrial products include electrical equipment, fabricated metal products, printing and publishing, and paper and allied products. Tourism is also one of the top industries currently in Vermont. Many of the ski resorts have established year around activities for tourists to enjoy.
Vermont Social Demographics:
According to 2013 numbers approximately 16.4% of Vermont’s population consists of people over the age of 65 and 19.6% are under 18 years old. The median household income is $54,168 with a rate of home ownership at 71.2%. About 91.3% of residents graduate with a high school diploma , and 34.2% go on to obtain a college degree.
Vermont Metropolitan Areas:
Vermont has seven metropolitan areas, these include; Burlington-South Burlington, Lebanon, Claremont, Rutland, Barre, Bennington, and Berlin. Burlington, the capital is the largest city and is still a small town compared to other metropolitan areas in New England. This rural state has mostly small towns.
Vermont Popular Sports Teams:
There are no professional sports in Vermont. Vermont is home to the popular league team The Vermont Expos, and college team the Vermont catamounts.
Vermont Home Security Companies:
Vermont Crime Statistics:
In the 2010 actual crime data reports a total of 15,096 crimes. These can be broken down to 602 aggravated assault crimes, 3,366 burglary crimes, 10,474 larceny and theft crimes, 441 motor vehicle theft crimes, 7 murder/manslaughter crimes, and 74 robbery crimes.
Crime Breakdown for Vermont
- 1.43 Violent Crimes per 1,000 Residents
- 23.99 Property Crimes per 1,000 Residents
- Your Chances of being a Victim of Violent Crime in VT is 1 in 701
- Your Chances of being a Victim of Property Crime in VT is 1 in 42
- There are 8 crimes per square mile in VT
- Your Chances of being a Victim of Burglary in VT is 1 in 157
- The VT Burglary Rate is Below the National Average
Vermont Police Department:
The state of Vermont is covered by twelve state police barracks. These barracks are organized into four troops of three stations each. These troops include; dispatch, public information, assembly permits, and alarms. Their goal is to respond to press inquiries in a prompt manner, assist troopers and issues press releases on significant incidents. Also to ensure public safety to all citizens and those involved for commercial assembly, concerts, or public events. They can also install alarms to help protect residents and residential property and responding to those properties when needed. These are only a few of the many services offered by Vermont’s police department, making the safety of the states citizens an achieved goal.
- Vermont State Police Website: http://vsp.vermont.gov/
- Vermont Amber Alert: http://vsp.vermont.gov/crime_prevention/amberalert/
- Vermont Health & Safety: http://vshc.org/
Vermont List of Counties:
7. Grand Isle